Seating depth inconsistency

Hi,

I shoot 6.5 Creedmoor using Lapua SR brass, Hornady 140ELDM heads and N555 powder.

I've been reloading for about 3 years now and my reloading process is as follows, I deprime, anneal using a gas torch and home made annealer (as per https://www.youtube.com/@ElfstersRiflesandReloading), ultrasonically clean, full length bushing size and mandrel for 1.5 thou neck tension, trim, chamfer, de burr and finally ultrasonically clean to remove any  remaining lube or metal shavings. (cases are NOT neck turned) Prior to priming I use a colloidal graphite solution (Neolube equivalent) to lube the inside of the neck, I found it reduced SD and ES.

I use Redding type S sizing die, Forster micrometer seating die with the Hornady Lock n Load bushing kit and a RCBS Summit press and  I've also ground and polished the Forster stem to fit the 140 ELDM heads, every thing is kept clean and dust free. I am not using a compressed load. Finally I measure with a Mitutoyo calliper and Hornady BTO gauge.

My problem is I am unable to maintain consistent seating depth with +/- 3 thou being my usual tolerance, which I do not think is very good!

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Grumpy

On 5/3/2024 at 5:20 PM, Grumpy said:

Hi,

I shoot 6.5 Creedmoor using Lapua SR brass, Hornady 140ELDM heads and N555 powder.

I've been reloading for about 3 years now and my reloading process is as follows, I deprime, anneal using a gas torch and home made annealer (as per https://www.youtube.com/@ElfstersRiflesandReloading), ultrasonically clean, full length bushing size and mandrel for 1.5 thou neck tension, trim, chamfer, de burr and finally ultrasonically clean to remove any  remaining lube or metal shavings. (cases are NOT neck turned) Prior to priming I use a colloidal graphite solution (Neolube equivalent) to lube the inside of the neck, I found it reduced SD and ES.

I use Redding type S sizing die, Forster micrometer seating die with the Hornady Lock n Load bushing kit and a RCBS Summit press and  I've also ground and polished the Forster stem to fit the 140 ELDM heads, every thing is kept clean and dust free. I am not using a compressed load. Finally I measure with a Mitutoyo calliper and Hornady BTO gauge.

My problem is I am unable to maintain consistent seating depth with +/- 3 thou being my usual tolerance, which I do not think is very good!

Any advice will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Grumpy

Hi and welcome to the forum Grumpy.  +/- 3 i wouldnt worry about, how does it shoot?

Guest Grumpy
1 hour ago, spud said:

Hi and welcome to the forum Grumpy.  +/- 3 i wouldnt worry about, how does it shoot?

Hi Spud, thanks for your reply, when I do my bit correctly and the stars align  I have had 0.25moa groups at 100m on an indoor range. My main reason for concern is that when I worked out what my ES figures actually meant, I realised that ~50% of my vertical group size at 600yds is solely down to velocity variation, and therefor making more consistent ammunition would immediately improve my score. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information