Neck turning types?

spud

Question

What are the different types of neck turning?

There are two main instances for possibly needing to neck turn. One instance is when we would do a cleaning cut, this is where we aim to clean up 80% of the neck surface. This process will help even out the thick and thin parts in the wall thickness. When we are using bushing dies to control our neck tension, this type of neck turning will aid a more uniform neck tension and grip on the projectile. The second instance would be for taking the neck thickness down to a desired thinner wall thickness for use in so-called tight neck chamber guns.

As said above neck turning can be used for two separate scenarios. Most brands will have their own dedicated parts to their kits and its best practice to not mix match these if possible.

Neck turning will work best when you are using a bushing style sizing die. Wilson, Redding, RCBS, Hornady and Forster all make this style of die. It is worth remembering when consirdering your bushings for these dies, that you will want a smaller size after turning.

Always size after neck turning!.

2 answers to this question

Just diving into this rabbit hole and didn't consider the need for a smaller bushing after turning. So if I turned say a 316 down to 312.5 what bushing would you recommend. 

Thanks for setting this up Mark 

• Like 1

Hi stu its small atm but well get there, any wayback to the question. I would if your loaded round outside diameter is 3.125  i would err on the larger size and  go for a .311 bushing giving 1.5 thou neck tension

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information